Nuclear Quiz Answers
1. a. U235, c. U233, and e. Pu239 – U238 and Th232 are not fissile, but fertile, i.e., can be converted to fissile material by neutron exposure in a nuclear reactor.
2. d. 0 – Nuclear power has the best safety record by far.
3. d. 0 – Radioactive releases from power reactors in the U.S. have never made anyone sick.
4. e. 100 or more less – Coal has uranium imbedded in it when it is mined and there is no requirement to do anything to remove it.
5. b. and c. – A government facility has been built, but politics has held it out of use.
6. c. U.V. – Radiation from the sun causes thousands of deaths in the U.S. each year in the form of Melanoma skin cancer.
7. d. – There is no in-between. Reactions involving the nucleus are vastly more energetic than reactions involving the planetary lectrons of atoms.
8. True. – By the time one accounts for dispersity and intermittency and the amount of materials required for construction, and the need for back up fossil fuels for wind and solar, nuclear, especially LFTR is actually greener – less emissions.
9. False. – The reactors we have today are not the optimum design in terms of fuel, waste, water use, safety, siting, and cost. The LFTR design is superior by far.
10. True. – Less than 1.0 % of mined uranium used it today’s reactors is actually consumed. Some is converted to an even more radioactive form, but most is simply returned as waste.
11. True. Energy density is so much higher and the fact of no water requirement, therefore no massive pressure dome, will produce large savings in capital and materials.
12. False. Conventional reactors have a much larger foot-print than a LFTR reactor would have. LFTRs could be safely built and used in industrial areas of any city or town.